Tuesday, April 22, 2008

New Sam Peter Interview

WBC Heavyweight Champion Samuel "The Nigerian Nightmare" Peter is scheduled to face Vitali Klitschko for the WBC championship later this year. Dan Hernandez of Ringsidereport.com had a recent interview with Sam Peter and this is how it transpired:

Dan Hernandez: You won the heavyweight championship. You must be excited.

Sam Peter: Yeah, I am excited to be champion of the world. It took me many years to put myself together, to be in this position. I am very pleased.

DH: Well congratulations. Do you have any idea how hard you hit?

SP: I put my entire body in every punch. I do everything I can to stay on top.

DH: How many hours a day do you train?

SP: I train everyday. I train five hours a day, when I am preparing for a fight.

DH: How many fights would you like to have a year?

SP
: Now that I am champion of the world, I think I should fight at least two or three times every year.

DH: Do you have a wife and children?

SP: Yes, I have children.

DH: Are they with you while you’re training?

SP: No, they can’t be with me often, but everything is OK. Training can be lonesome, but if your goals are clear, if you have plans and know what you want to do, it works out.

DH: Your goals are primary then.

SP: Yeah.

DH: Did you plan to be a boxer when you were younger?

SP: No, I didn’t make that kind of plan. Times were tough and I came to boxing out of desperation.

DH: How much do you weigh in for your fights?

SP: Around 260. The other fighters are big so I have to weigh this much to compete. I do what I have to do.

DH: Did you have a favorite fighter when you were first coming up?

SP: Well, because I didn’t really love boxing, I didn’t have a lot of favorites. I guess Muhammad Ali. He was fast for a big guy.

DH: He looks small compared to you guys.

SP: (Laughter) We are REAL heavyweights!

DH: Are you having a good time being champion?

SP: Yeah, I’m happy to be champion. Boxing is not for everybody. So this is good for me now.

DH: You work so hard to become champion that I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying your status.

SP: Yes, thank you. It is good for the people that work with me also. The people that work for me are also my friends and it is good for everybody. Pops Anderson is very close and he teaches me boxing.

DH: Have you considered what you plan to do after boxing?

SP
: Right now, I’m just focusing on boxing. I am watching my money and investing in my future. I have very good advisors and I believe all will be well.

DH: Is there anything that you would like to add?

SP
: Well, there is no big deal, but like my father would always say: “If you believe in the lord, your dream will always come true.” You just have to be patient and stay focused on your goals. Nobody can steal or take away your dreams if you stay honest. And I want to thank everybody, especially my father, who always believed in me. And thank you.


Good luck to Vitali on his comeback. Hope he gets by Sam Peter later this year to reclaim his belt. In my opinion he shouldn't have much problem with the fight. Hopefully everything will go well in his training leading up to the fight. That's the only way Sam Peter will prevent himself from losing his WBC belt is if Vitali doesn't show up to the fight for whatever reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts