Saturday, April 5, 2008

Shannon Briggs Interview Part 2

Shannon was recently interviewed at Doghouse Boxing and called out Wladimir Klitschko, Sam Peter, and the 'other Russian Heavyweight' again. Here's how the 2nd part of the interview went:

Benny Henderson Jr : How does it feel to of overcame all that you have to be where you are today?

Shannon Briggs: When I beat Sergei it felt great, but at the same time I knew that I could do better with my performance. Like I said Benny, I had him out in the first round. I dreamed that I lost my mother, that night she passed away. Listen to me Benny, I dreamed that I will knock out Klitschko, they are not going to stop me! I will tell you what a great feeling was, every fighter said I was going to lose, every boxing writer said I was going to lose. The great part was making them eat their words.

Too bad it's only a dream. For the record he was losing his fight with Sergei pretty bad and lucked out big time with a last second knockout.


BH: (Laughing) My bad, brother, I was one of them saying that as well.

SB: Apology accepted, but that is OK, it is nothing personal. I want to be the spoiler. I will be heavyweight champion again! It is politics, print this sh*t! I want them to read this, I want them to know that they are trying to stop Shannon Briggs and they are not going to stop me.

BH: You are coming back.

SB: I really never left to be honest with you. They are trying to force me to retire Benny, the powers that be and I am still going to fight for my fans. People are saying Wladimir is the best, how is he the best? He has been ducking me for years.

More like Wlad has had no reason to fight you for years.


BH: You want a tune up fight?

SB: Give me a title shot, I want to fight Samuel Peter, and he is another coward ducking me! I went out and got the belt, they sabotaged me. If I am lucky I will get another shot, hopefully fight Samuel Peter, if he doesn’t fight the Venus champion or whatever the f*ck he is, Vitali Quitschko, he always says he assh*le hurts or his nuts hurt! Be he can still come back and get a title shot? If they let me come back and get a title shot, I will fight anybody. If I have to take the road less traveled and fight every f*cking Tom, Dick and Harry then I will, but how is it that I stopped Liakhovich and he turns around and fights Valuev for the number one spot, the last time he looked up his ass was out on a table.

Vitali was a legitimate champion who had more than 1 title defense before retiring. He was also recognized as #1 in the division. Shannon has never been recognized as #1 in the division, and on his last run as a title holder he lost his belt on his 1st title defense. A little different than Vitali's situation!


BH: Politics.

SB: Come on Benny, talk to me, ease my nerves, how in the f*ck does he get stretched out on the table then fights Valuev. I’ll fight Valuev, I’ll knock Valuev the f*ck out! You keep this recorded homey and keep this the rest of your life. (Laughing)

He doesn't realize that if you lose a title match and have no fights at all for about a year, thats not usually a good case for getting title shots. I mean if he was recognized as #1 and then lost or retired and came back like Vitali it might be different.


BH: I am going to ask two more questions. What do you want to tell the fight world?

SB: I want to take the politics away, I want the fans to do their homework. I had to fight my way back, and nobody wants to fight Shannon Briggs. These people do not want to risk that I may come in shape, I can knock out any man on any given night. I took a major loss, but all I am asking for is to get a shot at one of these champions, I am asking the people to help me get my title back. I am willing to campaign and get my title back, I am the best heavyweight in the world.

BH: Closing thoughts.

SB: I am looking forward to filming this movie about my life, and to come back. I am looking forward to getting back in the ring. I am the spoiler. Let me say this, they are recycling Golota again, why? Because of Polish television, the money, that guy cannot fight, Golota will not come near me! His last fight against Mike Mollo, you got to be kidding me. Give me my chance, I’ll fight anybody!

I'd like to see Shannon fight Golota that would be a good match for both fighters to see who should go on and who should pack their bags.




In my opinion, if Briggs got himself into boxing shape (as opposed to bodybuilding shape), I'd say he would have a good chance at beating a few top guys in the division. I better chance that is than he has now, which is entirely rested upon his good punching power and not much else. I think he's taking the easy route. He knows that he would have a hard time beating the top guys in the division as far as a full fight, so he's bulking up and hoping he can take out his opponents with 1 punch. Shannon would be totally annihilated if he ever fought either Klitschko and he knows this. I think he's looking for one more big payday, thus why he hasn't taken the chance of fighting tune up fights and is wanting to just jump back in for a title shot with someone. I think he knows that his marketability would permanently be gone if he were to lose to a journeyman or contender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts