Friday, May 16, 2008

Wladimir Klitschko Training Regimen Interview

BoxingInsider.com did a recent brief interview with Wladimir Klitschko which discussed his training preparations for his fights. This is how it went:

BoxingInsider.com: Do you do long runs or sprints? If long runs or hills, how far and if you vary your roadwork why?

Wladimir Klitschko: I did it. In the last three years I have changed my work out schedule and don’t run anymore as much as I was.

BI: How much sparring do you like to do before a 12-round fight?

WK: Over 100 rounds in four weeks.

BI: Do you lift weights and if so, what do you do?

WK: Yes I do lift weights in the first three weeks of my eight weeks preparation program.

BI: Do you split your body parts up for example, chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders and legs etc.

WK: I train all my body parts equal.

BI: Do you get added motivation training with a partner?

WK: I have no additional motivation with a training partner. Boxing is like a golf, it’s all about your own performance only.

BI: Do you skip workouts? Why or why not?

WK: No, I can’t. More opposite, I have to stop my self to not over train.

BI: Do you have any unusual training methods?

WK: I love to swim, which I never did.

BI: What type of punch bags do you like to use - double end, heavy bag, speedbag?

WK: Speedball.

BI: How important is padwork in your preparation?

WK: Very important, it makes you create better strategy.

This was a fairly quick interview but interesting, especially the part where he says he does "less" roadwork than he used to. I was under the impression since training with Emanuel Steward that he had been increasing his roadwork. He doesn't look as thick as he used to but he says he still trains with weights for the 1st 3 weeks of his training. I wonder if he trains with weights when he's not training for a fight and whether he used to. Anyway, if I find out any more information on his training regimen, I'll be sure to post it here on the Klitschko Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts