Saturday, June 21, 2008

Chambers On Povetkin Loss

"Fast" Eddie Chambers, whose only professional loss at heavyweight was to rising heavyweight star Alexander Povetkin, gave some responses as to why he lost and what he's going to do in the future to prevent any more losses.

Chambers On Povetkin Fight


“The first half of the fight was mine. I did what I was supposed to do, I took care of business and the things that we worked on in camp, but as far as the second half of the fight, it was a complete change. All the things I didn't do, all the mistakes I made in camp came to the surface. Just not long enough in camp and not being as mentally focused as I should've been, take nothing away from Povetkin, he's a great fighter, he did what he had to do to win, but there's no way I should've allowed it to happen and I think it's more so I allowed that win to happen, than me taking it."

Chambers on Buddy's Advice & Training


"Buddy was telling me the right things to do, he gave me the right information. It just so happens that you get to a certain thing where it's like a writer when you get a mental block, a writers block. Basically, but it was more of what happened in camp and things I let go. We found out about the fight right after St. Lucia, where Andre (Ward) fought, and we went down to that fight and it was right after that. We found out about that fight maybe two weeks after that. So it was already in December, then of course there's Christmas and all that and a whole lot of stuff going on where gyms are closed, you can't do this, you can't do that."

"So it kinda messed up the training a little bit. Then I went to Florida for the second half of my camp, which ended up being only 17 days worth of training camp. Really, I just didn't have the right time to get in the right mindset to do the right things I could've done to prepare myself and thus I lost the fight."

Chambers After Watching The Fight



"I allowed those things to happen; I did what I did in camp, I allowed those things to happen in camp and in the fight as well. You just don't stand there no matter what happens, no matter what the situation or how bad you feel," he would say. "You have to respond, you have to do something, you have to show the people, the judges, everyone who's involved in the fight that you have something left, you have something to give and I just didn't do that and there's the defeat.

Promoter Dan Goossen On Chambers


"We're going to find out Friday night because you've got a hungry fighter in Butler. Raphael may be one-dimensional but that dimension is very hungry and determined to put the pressure on Eddie to beat him, If Eddie's been as he's been in his last few fights, it's going to give him problems. But it's hard to overcome some bad habits, and hopefully this is a bad habit that he's able to overcome."

Chambers On His Upcoming Fight With Butler


"I trained a lot longer, I had good sparring and I had good sparring for that, it just wasn't long enough. I had great sparring, I had Steve Cunningham, cruiserweight champion of the world, also Chazz Witherspoon, who's fighting on HBO. Those two guys, they're two high-volume punchers. Steve Cunningham, a great boxer with exceptional speed, which prepares me now for Butler. But those kinda opponents for sparring will really set you straight. Plus, I had a long time to train. I think I'm just ready."

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts