Saturday, June 21, 2008

Chazz Witherspoon Interview

On Saturday June 21st, undefeated Chazz “The Gentleman” Witherspoon (23 Wins(15 by KO), 0 Losses, 0 Draws) will step into the ring against fellow undefeated heavyweight Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (23(21 by KO), 0 Losses, 0 Draws). This is a recent interview done by Rob Tierney with Chazz.

RT: Good afternoon Chazz, I hope all is well. Everyone seems to be looking forward to next Saturday Night. How does it feel to be fighting on HBO for the first time?

CW: It feels good. It’s international exposure. However, I’m not really thinking about that. I’m just thinking about sticking to my game plan and coming up with a win.

RT: Speaking of game plans…….obviously I wouldn’t ask you to reveal any pre-fight strategies, but in general, what do you think you need to do to defeat Chris Arreola?

CW: I need to be busy! I’ll look at what he’s giving me and make adjustments as I go. When I see what he’s giving me, I’ll talk to the corner and tell them what I’m seeing. They’ll tell me what they’re seeing and we’ll make adjustments as we go.

RT: Chazz, you’ve defeated some tough opponents throughout your rise in the division. Some of the more notable names would be Kendrick Releford, Talmadge Griffis and Michael Alexander to name just a few. However, would you say that Chris Arreola will be your toughest opponent to date?

CW: Definitely so! He’s really aggressive and strong willed. He’s definitely going to be my toughest opponent to date. But I’m up for the challenge.

RT: What would a win over Arreola mean for your career?

CW: It would skyrocket my career into the upper echelon of the Heavyweight Division. It would also put a face to my name and legitimize my record to anyone who questions it. It’s definitely a big fight for both of us.

RT: True! You have to admit that a lot of people are going to watch this fight and view the winner as the next great American contender in the Heavyweight division. With a win over Arreola, do you think you would position yourself as the next great American contender?

CW: I do think that the winner of this fight is going to be looked at as the next great American contender. It’s definitely a step in the right direction. However, I plan on taking calculated steps. I’m still learning.

RT: Speaking of calculated steps…..you’re probably going to tell me that you’re taking it one fight at a time, but have you thought about any opponents should you emerge successfully on Saturday Night?

CW: No! I’m not looking past him, nor have I even begun to look past him. I’ve got to be on my A-Game to beat Chris Arreola, so I’m not looking past him at all.

RT: Since I was considerably impressed by your sparring at the International Boxing Hall of Fame last weekend, I have to believe that you’re bringing your A-Game just as you said. You look like you’re in good working condition. How was your training camp for this fight?

CW: Actually, it was my first true training camp. It was the first time I ever had paid sparring. It was really a good camp. There were no injuries. Everything feels good heading into Saturday Night.

RT: Well Chazz, I’m happy to hear that and I look forward to watching you fight next weekend. I also want to wish you and your father Eric a Happy Father’s Day and the best of luck next weekend.

CW: Thank You! You do the same.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts