Saturday, February 28, 2009

Estrada Comments On Povetkin

The unbeaten 2004 Olympic gold medalist and IBF #1 contender Alexander Povetkin (16-0, 12 KOs) is making a unnecessary voluntary fight against Jason "Big Six" Estrada (15-1, 3 KOs) on April 4 in Dusseldorf, Germany. The fight is considered unnecessary for Povetkin because he already has a guaranteed shot at the title this fall. Because of this Estrada has said that Povetkin is taking him way too lighty.

“The fight’s on April 4 but Povetkin’s the April Fool. I really see this guy as just a big-name opponent. He has his gold medal but he’s been babied his entire career. They just put guys in front of him to fight. He’s making a big mistake taking this fight. I’m not dwelling on the past. The old stuff doesn’t matter to me; I’m focusing on the present. It doesn’t upset me that people are calling this a tune-up for him. If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn’t take him lightly, but they’re making a huge mistake if they’re taking me lightly. I think it will be easier fighting him today than in the amateurs because he had to box a little more back then. You don’t see him boxing now. He’s a sitting duck. This (pro boxing) is a whole different game, something I learned in my first fight and I’ve progressed from there. He’s got the same stuff. Our fight didn’t happen in the amateurs, so I’m focused on beating him as a pro. I can’t see how he took this fight. His people must be telling him I’m just fast, like (Eddie) Chambers or (Chris) Byrd, but I’m more aggressive and they weren’t. I’m not worried about going over there because, if I smash him and lose, everybody will see that. No way I’m going to lose; I’m either going to stop him, or I’ll deserve a win by decision. He can’t prepare for what I’m bringing.”


It's true that this fight is not going to be an easy win for Povetkin, but props to him for taking the fight even though he didn't have to in preparation for a much bigger challenge in Wladimir once he gets by Estrada.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts