Tuesday, March 10, 2009

V. Klitschko Interview Ahead Of Gomez Fight

This is a recent interview with current WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko speaking with Eurosport ahead of his fight on March 21st against WBC #1 ranked contender Juan Carlos Gomez.



How are you preparing for the fight against Cuban boxer Juan Carlos Gomez on March 21 in Stuttgart?

I've been at a training camp in the Austrian town of Going - in the Tyrol - with my coach Fritz Sdunek, where I've started with my fitness training. At the moment I'm doing a lot of sparring and working on my quickness and defence. I've also been going swimming and playing a bit of table tennis.


Why are you based in Going?

In the last few years I've prepared for a lot of fights in Going, and I feel very good here. I've got really used to the atmosphere and the hotel, which is very important. There are ideal training conditions in the Stanglwirt Hotel, so there's no reason for me to change training camps.

You are 37 and have overcome numerous severe injuries. Is your body still able to cope with this stress? Are you feeling your age catching up with you?

No - I am absolutely fit and feel very good. The preparations for the fight are perfectly on plan. I can't wait to get in the ring to fight Juan Carlos.

Your next opponent is a familiar one for you as you once knocked him out while sparring together, and your coach Fritz Sdunek used to train him so he knows all about his weaknesses. Does that mean there's no way that anything could go wrong?

Absolutely right, I already know Juan Carlos Gomez. But then again, that was some time ago and since then he's improved a lot. He's become number one in the WBC ranking and is anything but an easy opponent. He's experienced, quick and unpleasant. I definitely won't underestimate him.


You've never been knocked out during your career and have only had to retire twice because of injuries. Are you ever afraid of being hurt by a lucky punch?

In a title fight anything can happen. You always have to be fully focused and can't afford even a moment of weakness. Any fighter can land a lucky punch: they are all professionals.

How important is mental strength?

It's very important. You have to know your strengths and be able to rely on them and simply believing that you will win the fight gives you a big advantage before the bell goes for the first round.

Would you have preferred to fight David Haye or Nikolai Valuev?

It's no secret that I wanted to fight another opponent, but the association has insisted that I fight against Gomez first. I've got to concentrate fully on this fight.

The heavyweight division is dominated by the Klitschko brothers. Are there any other boxers out there for the pair of you to fear?

A Klitschko doesn't need to fear anyone.... but there are heavyweight boxers out there who are very strong. They are Haye, Valuev, Ruslan Chagaev and Chris Arreola.

How important is it to have your brother Vladimir around you when you're in the ring?

It's enormously important that he supports me. When I'm fighting I only hear two voices: his, and that of my coach. I can't imagine fighting without him around.

What will you do if you lose against Gomez? Will you retire from boxing?

I will not lose!
**Interview with Eurosport





No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts