Friday, January 29, 2010

Valuev Turns Down Vitali Klitschko's Offer

It's been recently reported that former WBA heavyweight champion (who is coming off a loss to David Haye) has turned down $1 million to fight current WBC Vitali Klitschko in a voluntary defense.

It's my opinion that this is a fair amount of money considering Vitali Klitschko is taking all the risk and doesn't have much to gain other than making a fairly intriguing (for the size factor alone) match for the fans, and making some extra money before he retires. I think Valuev shoud take the offer although I imagine there may be just some negotiation strategy involved here and that be more to do with it than Valuev not wanting to fight. I believe that since Valuev isn't champion Don King shouldn't worry about losing leverage since he has nothing to lose and everything to gain if he takes this offer with Valuev. Here's what the fighters had to say...


Vitali Klitschko Quotes


“I’m an acting world champion, while Valuev isn’t even a contender. I have the right to make a voluntary defense and I decided myself on whom to present a chance to fight for the champion’s belt. I decided to give this chance to Nikolay. I called back to Valuev and made him an offer. I offered him the fee for the fight. It’s money that correlates with his size. He took the time to think it over. I called him again several days later. He recommended that I continue the negotiations with Don King."

Valuev Quotes


“He offered me the same amount as he did to his last opponent Kevin Johnson. A million? Yes, Vitali offered me that amount. But for me that sum is unacceptable.”





No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts